2003-12-20

can i just say?

when a man loves a woman is a very very good movie?

ok- alert! content blog below...

If these are my motivations; I should postpone being part of a church plant…
By me

Discontentedness** with my current church. This is not a good reason for me. It does not mean that it’s not a good reason for you- so don’t take it personally.

Unfortunately I am stricken with a condition called, ‘the grass is greener on the other side’ syndrome. The unfortunate part is that it (the lie that I believe) seldom is better.

I am don’t seem to be able to combat this syndrome. I don’t think my goal in life or church should be to like everything that I’m apart of 100%. I think that in my idealism I want to agree 100% w/ the methodology, the flavor, the doctrine, the people and everything. That’s just not realistic. When I realize this, and I choose to be filled with the Holy Spirit; God produces and blesses me maturing into a real grown up and not a brat. Otherwise, I become highly unpleasant and grind my teeth a lot.

This attitude unchecked can also lead me into not so pretty elitism and arrogance (we know how to do real church; they don’t).

** Lots of good things (the reformation for one) came from a discontentedness (I don’t mean to be historically insensitive to the impetus of the reformation- but hopefully you get what I’m saying).

As for your question mentioned in comments per 12/17 DF about if church planting is valid- I guess I haven’t thought about it from that angle in a very long time…

So- my simple overview just includes two points of what I’m sure could be many many more… I won’t go into anything based on the bible- b/c

a) the stuff I know off the top of my head is probably the same stuff you know off the top of your head; and
b) I don’t know that I feel the need to really superduper defend church planting as valid b/c the proof is in what we see as a result of it (church planting).

So pragmatically:

1. If my job as a follower of Jesus is to show Him to others around me in a wholistic and integrated way; then it makes sense to create a forum where you can express and walk out your faith with others (seekers and sojourners) in your very own neighborhood. Then your faith can rub off on others in their own language. Short answer: contextualization.

2. B/c not everyone likes the same thing. Variety is good. At least I think it is. I’m not positive about this being a steadfast polemic for church planting- but for fickle Americans- it seems to be necessary.

No comments: