2003-12-30

reasons why i want to be part of a church plant



i want to live and raise my family in an urban context.
i think the best way to do this is to be part of a network of churches that contextualize the Gospel into the language of their neighborhood. These churches can help one another do things in their communities w/o a sense of competition but instead a sincere desire to see their (the individual church's gifts and 'specialties' be of service and advancement of the Kingdom). John Perkins is a spiritual hero of mine and i love his writings on living out the Gospel in different neighborhoods has intrigued me for nearly ten years. he has influenced much of my thinking about church planting. in addition, while living in manhattan- i really appreciated tim keller at redeemer presbyterian and saw first hand how powerful it can be to have a church who is for the city rather than against it.

i think the emphasis on church should be flip flopped from the focal point being a small group where the Gospel is lived out daily and non-believers can be invited and loved and Sunday service less of an emphasis.

i guess i should also say that I want to be part of a church plant b/c i think i have the disposition for it (I like to think that i'm resilient, i generally can't get enough of people, i like having spiritual conversation with those of different beliefs etc.) i also think that God has given me gifts that are useful in church planting. (like of faith and evangelism)

the bottom line?
as much as I try to avoid the term that I "feel called"; to it (b/c it seems to hype it up and pump situations w/ spiritual steroids); I do; what does that mean? my understanding of this is that; based on my personality, gifts, convictions that have been formed in me and previous experiences; from the best I can tell- this is something that God would like me to try.

No comments: