2005-03-25

nothing is sacred.

note to self.
a vent to myself about myself
by m. okonkwo

we know by now- that nothing is sacred.
this morning i re-learned this as my bbc world news page loaded.
the lead is the intimate details
of a family and their daughter in their darkest days.
this tragedy w/ the terry schiavo case
has really impressed the fact on me
that there is truly nothing sacred in our modern day.

now, i should say i'm sure that there are many well meaning and informed opinions out there in readership. as for me- i really don't know what i think about this whole thing. but it seems like a very complex situation.

and that is what saddens me most.

this woman and her life and future has become an "issue" and a "situation".

if you've ever been w/ someone who is dying (regardless of what has propogated the situation); it has the potential to be one of the most private and awesome periods of time. i am so frustrated with all of the elements that surround terry shiavo's life. i'm frustrated with the cameras and the media in particular. i'm frustrated w/ all the things that feed the demand to force this (the media's) supply.

and it seems ironic to me that this is hitting me so hard on this good, good friday.

not to compare the situations perse-

but i'm just thinking about how sometimes the story of jesus' life and death gets so foggy for me. i make it a situation and an issue.
i take stances and read stuff to defend my stances.
i have volumes of books from world class scholars that are dog eared and torn b/c i love the process of knowing.

i don't mean to downplay the benefit of the scholarly pursuit of knowing our heritage and being able to defend a stance on the facts of christianity.

but today, i am forced into a different kind of knowing.
i am stunned by the story and best of all, the Man.
i mean- wow. jesus- His life- his death- it really blows my mind.

and i can't help but think how it grieves Him when i approach my faith as an issue or situtation. when i simplify my faith to how i break down this pericope or how la la la said this and differed w/ la la la about that- i mean- i'm totally missing it.

today is a day that i can't miss-
it helps me remember what is central.
it helps me remember why i fell in love in the first place.
may it serve the same for you.

No comments: