2005-05-21

maggie

m (my niece) singing heart out

the soundtrack of my life

well, i - turned 32.
it's taken me awhile to realize that i am more than three decades old.
but now that i'm comfortable with it; i wanted to do some sort of commemorative post.

so i decided to catolog my life in music.
i should say that i'm a bit intimidated by the prospect.
i know some of this readership-
or this readership's other blogs readship-
are music connoisseur.
and i
am not.

so i'm telling you upfront.
this isn't very high brow.
but here we go...

0-10:
i don't remember what i listened to during this time.
but i do remember wearing our peter and the wolf album thin.
and a lot of john denver.

this was probably the time that my musical taste varied most widely. more accuratley, it was the time in my life that my opinions didn't bear weight in our family's music listening.

10-15:
these were the years where i injested large quantities of pop rock.
including but not limited to:
prince (or the artist formerly known as...)
the go go's (beuaty and the beat)
tears for fears (songs from the big chair)

this is music worth noting b/c i still like the bands listed.
prince in particular.
tears forfears makes the list b/c i got my first kiss from kurt nuber in the bus to the circus for saftey patrol.

the most noteworthy development is that i fell in love w/ u2 in 7th grade.
war was the first tape that i wore out.
christy hildetch and i stayed up all night listening to it.
the love affair began that night.
abbey road was the second album that i wore out.


15-18:
the dramatic, destructive tormented artist years.

these three years are pretty gray in my mind.
like many others, these years contained the height of my teenaage rebellion.

i listened to a lot of pink floyd, the doors and the who.
i had a steady diet of u2 throughout.
i know these tastes seem disjointed- but they rightly reflect how i felt (as in disjointed).
i also like the velvet underground (loaded), and the dead.
alot of the music i listened to fed how i wanted to fit the part
(the part in my mind was to live off my drug enhanced art in new york city).

there was also a sprinkled intrest in simon and garfunkle and 10,000 maniacs.

18-22:
the years of the zealot.

these were my years as a zealot. i have a love hate relationship w/ this time in my life.


i listened to a lot of brooklyn tabernacle.
i also started going to the vineyard and got turned on to worship music.

i didn't exactly think that secular music was bad and that led zeplin albums spun backwords lead to the worship of satan-
but for whatever reason-
my music intake was revolved around brooklyn tab, kirk franklin, helen baylor, and ofcourse u2.

22-26:
the years of the toned down zealot pt 2.

i was (and still am) very passionate.
if you weren't passionate about the same things and in the smae way as me-
we had problems.
i would push you out of my life one way or another.
it wasn't pretty. there were good things too-
but i didn't know what balance was during this time in life
(a lesson i am still learning- but i was laregly in the dark about it as it unfolded).

my taste in gospel continued.
i was also really getting into being irish.
i picked up a fondness for some 'tradtional' celtic stuff. mostly the cheiftans.
an irish evening was a well worn cd- i felt roger daultry was a kinsmen.
i listened to cranberries, the sundays, and van morrison.

i also began to realize that there was a lot to jazz.
my initiation didn't wade into anything far beyond the classic jazz mucians.
i picked up a fondness for john coltrane in particular.

i fell in love w/ david wilcox at this point. and rediscovered my liking of sir elton john. i also saw billy joel in central park which made me an unapologetic band wagon fan for a moment that i savored.


26-30:
the jaded years.

this is when i thought it was cool to be jaded and cynical.
i thought i was very deep.


this is when i realized that stevie wonder's music did my soul good and inevidibly made me smile. i was a late bloomer and listened to more and more over the rhine. indigo girls was nearly always on the deck. i also found macy gray- whom i love. i had another unapolgetic band wagon moment when my eyes were opened to nick drake via a faboulous vw commercial.

i found the blind boys of alabama and all things sinatra.
i also dug up some old earth wind and fire. which i love(d).

the third decade that i am now well into...

i have tons of carryovers (both in taste and issues)

i have recently discoved stereo lab, etta james and yo yo ma rock my tiny mind.
i am being schooled in the ways of some west african tunes and fun worship songs that aid in my attempts to learn igbo.

the rest of my musical script is still unfolding.




No comments: