2004-12-30

why i love jesus
there are many reasons that i love jesus. i am grateful for the chance to celebrate his life throughout this time of year. perhaps this post would of been better suited for a pre christmas date. but the reality is i wish that my level of anticipation was more sustained throughout the whole year and that i would be as mindful of how much my relationship with jesus means to me.

well- as i said i’m crazy about jesus. he really saves my life over and over again. it used to be in a more physical and concrete way when i was a hellion flirting with death and overdose. then it was spiritual (as when i decided to be a ‘real christian’* (for lack of a better phrase)). now- i feel like he saves me from a variety of things. one of which (but not limited to); he saves me from myself. and i love that. in a million years- i would of never guessed that my life would look like it does today. he saves me from myself b/c he doesn’t let me settle for my measly dreams. he also saves me emotionally. i cannot begin to tell you the emotional overhaul that walking with Jesus has produced.

i love him for lots of the stuff he ‘does’ for me. but i am growing to love God for the intangible non utility of his character and just who he is.

i have grown to love that i don’t understand him. what i mean is- i sometimes wish (connect this with the measly dream bit) that my relationship was formulatic. that i follow God, he does what i want, and that i’m happy. but this is not the case. since becoming a christian life (read here shit), sometimes still happens. i can try to be obedient and my job still suck (for example), or my dad die, or ministry be flat, or remain single or fill in your blank. with that said, it has been my experience that there is something intangible, beautiful and profound that happens when we ‘live life on life’s terms’ (to borrow a phrase from program). when i neutralize my brat; and stop demanding from God; i receive His mercy and meeting. and i love this.

i love jesus b/c he is consistent yet keeps me on my toes. he is very generous. i love him b/c he disciplines me and doesn’t let me stay the same. but in the same breath- i love that he loves me the way i am... i love him b/c he is smart and strong. i love him b/c he is good and gentle. i love him b/c he forgives me and always takes me back. i love him b/c he listens to me and lets me talk his ear off. i love him b/c he sees me. i love him b/c he makes me discontent when i should be b/c i’m settling for second rate stuff. i love him b/c he gives hope. i love him b/c he loves me. i could really go on and on.


* this is not meant to sound elitist. i always thought about being a christian just like i think about being irish. this point of decision for me was a decision to recognize that christianity is not like ethnicity- but instead a decision each of us are free to make. so by real- i mean that it was my intentional choice to follow jesus.

No comments: