2005-08-17

five of my favorite passages from the bible:

luke 7
this is probably my favorite chapter in the gospels. it is meaningful to me at a couple of levels. the story of the centurion (1-10) hit me between the eyes at a real pivotal time in my life. what i love most about the story is that it is the only occasion i know of where Jesus was amazed by a human being’s faith. i tend to think that Jesus gets exacerbated w/ me and us humans in general. but i don’t think that’s actually true. the problem is i think like this; ‘if i was Jesus; i would be frustrated w/ me’. ha! talk about missing the boat! sometimes, i crack myself up!

anyways- to run across an occasion in scripture, where Jesus is amazed by someone’s faith was so cool for me. i decided to pray for the kind of faith that would amaze Him since this passage hit me between the eyes. it hit me between the eyes b/c i was orienting to life in america after living in albania for over a year and i didn’t think i could hack it. i was really lonely and i had no faith that it would get better.

the second portion of luke 7 is probably my ‘life passage’ (36-50). we asked my brother to use it as the text at our wedding. i tear up every time i read about it and think about it. it’s the story of the lady who is immoral and cries all over Jesus’ feet like a bumbling idiot and doesn’t care and washes His feet w/ her tears. and it’s about the guy who thinks he has all his crap together compared to the bubbling idiot and how Jesus calls his sorry ass out on it. it’s the most beautiful image in the gospels for me and complete wrecks me. but most of all- the passages beauty is conveyed through the meat of my biggest aspiration in life. i know i’m not telling you anything new- but i’m a sinner. a big sinner. i mean- i’ve done some wicked things. really. but this passage gives me hope. b/c apparently; there is a congruency between the amount that i’ve been forgiven of; and the potential and capacity to love and forgive others. and that’s what i’ve always wanted. i have always wanted to be loved; but i have this inner compulsion to be a good lover of people. and to love people and be involved w/ people- someone’s going to mess me up and do me wrong- that’s part of the deal. but apparently; i have the power to pardon, to forgive, to show mercy. and that is the mark i want on my life. this is revolutionary people- and it rocks my world.

revelation 7.9-17
basically, there is a tie between my two favorite books in the bible. it’s a tie between revelation and romans. when i went to treatment (as in rehab, as in stop drinking to run away from your life)- i took a precious moments bible that was given to me at my confirmation. funny- i know. i was an aesthetic snob then- as i am now- but i took it nonetheless. honestly, i couldn’t stop reading it. and i was riveted by revelation. i LOVED it. no one was around to suggest i might start w/ say- john. like any good person addicted to immediate gratification- i read the last chapter first. but oye did i love me some revelation. i think i like it b/c it seemed like one enormous trip- but w/ the most wonderful visual imagery.

i’ve been in love with this particular passage since i was about twenty. as time has passed; i have been exposed to more and more of the falleness of this world- so i think my love for this passage has only increased w/ the exposure. in particular; how race has been used to seperate and marginalize people. so i love this passage b/c it reminds me that heaven isn’t going to be an ole boys club w/ a bunch of whiteys. i also love that the worship of Jesus will bring everything into focus. we experience this in part here on earth- but it’s too rare for my heart and i grow tired. but then i read this passage and i am encouraged.

the other reason or turn that this passage has taken is in light of my dad’s passing. i adore the thought that my dad has a job that he loves in heaven. he adores it. everyday he wakes up (?- or whatever you do in heaven) and serves day and night in the temple. my dad hated his last job- i mean the dude loathed it. but now he has a job that’s perfect for him. i also love the knowledge that everything will work in heaven- we won’t experience need that comes from falleness or brokenness.

i forgot to say, that my love pangs took on new levels for this passage via michael card’s cd- unveiled hope.

ephesians 3.29-32
i love this passage b/c i talk too much and it reminds me that my words serve a purpose other than hearing myself talk. i love it b/c it’s really practical and directive. i think my relationship w/ the world at large would be way different if i thought of my words having the purpose of giving grace. wow. this all came to life when i realized for the amount of talking and ‘communicating’ i did might actually do more harm than good. this is a lesson i continue to learn. i rationalize excessive talking by saying ’i’m being open’. you know- i’m just being open. it is a newer lesson that i don’t actually have to say everything i think. this passage is a good filter to put up in my mind and over my mouth.

hebrews 3.7-19

i like hebrews. i love all the old testament references intertwined. i get intimidated by hebrews. anyways- i love this passage b/c it reminds me that sin isn’t a little side hobby of mine. sometimes that’s how i treat it. sad but true. hobby’s are benign and harmless. sin is not benign and harmless. ever. part of the deceitfulness of sin for me is to make it like it’s no big deal (13). i love that this passage reminds me that i’m supposed to respond TODAY to conviction. not tomorrow. today. and i love that it reminds me that i have a heart of flesh- not of stone- but it can atrophy and move towards stone. but if i respond today to his voice- there’s hope for it to be soft. i also love that there is a directive to encourage one another daily (13). it is not easy to say yes in the moment. i need encouragement and i need to give it too. love love love it! i’m grunting as i write this...

romans 5.1-11
this chapter is so deep. it’s hard to capture why i love it so much w/o short changing the passage. i love the opening of this chapter in particular. the cycle laid out in 3-5 appeals to my desire for formulas. but i am also a sucker for passages that talk about hope. i always have been. but i love that i’m instructed to rejoice in my suffering, that suffering isn’t futile nihilism that it has a purpose in my life, that it produces perseverance and tenacity- in turn in produces character (i’ve always wanted to have real deep character) and character somehow produces hope! i love hope b/c the bible says that it doesn’t disappoint. and i love anything that keeps disappointment at bay. i hate disappointment.

the other portion i adore follows the hope business immediately... i love that even when i was completely helpless- Jesus died for me. it’s so funny that i have an aversion to being helpless. my performance mentality gets weeded out little by little over the years. it’s so funny/pitiful that i think i might just have a chance to earn some sort of favor from God. this just nails me i have nothing that would merit God’s favor or mercy. it’s not about my resume. actually, it’s not about me at all.

romans 12
i love this whole chapter. i love v10 in particular. this is the chapter of the bible that i seem to revisit most frequently. i love it b/c it’s so deep but really practical too.

ok... lunch is over and i know i went over five and i only covered the new testament. can you blame me? the bible is the best book i've ever read. i will do old testament sometime at at later date. ok my peeps. signing off...

No comments: